This carrot soup with cashew cream will put a smile on your face. Deliciously sweet and “creamy” it’s full of plant powered goodness.
What a stunner of a day it was today – 70 degrees in New York in February!! Perhaps a strange day to make carrot soup with cashew cream – but – it was my free day, no classes to teach, all the girls away at school and a few precious hours to myself – so I cleaned out my fridge and found a glut of carrots. What do you do with bag upon bag of carrots? You whip up this soup. I have enough to last through the month of March.
I wanted to keep the soup vegan using veggie stock and a generous dollop of cashew cream to swirl in at the end. You could of course just as easily use chicken stock and heavy cream if your heart desires (actually your heart would do better with the veggie stock and cashew cream).
I’ve never actually made cashew cream before and wasn’t too sure how to go about it but after a little research I found the perfect recipe at the most glorious blog Dishing Up The Dirt. As a bonus it turns out there is a cookbook about to be published called Dishing Up the Dirt: Simple Recipes for Cooking through the Seasons – naturally I pre-ordered my copy.
Roasted Carrot Soup with Cashew Cream
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: soup,
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic in their skins
- 3 sticks celery, cut into large chunks
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 11/2 generous teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- FOR THE CASHEW CREAM
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 400 F
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place all the veggies on the baking sheet, drizzle over the olive oil, salt, pepper and spices, Combine well so all the veggies are lightly coated. Place in the oven and roast for approximately 50 minutes – or until tender.
- Remove from oven, remove the garlic and set aside. Place all the other veggies in a saucepan and add the stock. Squeeze the garlic out of their skins and put 2 cloves in the saucepan and reserve the other 2 cloves for the cashew cream.
- Bring to a simmer, stir well. Turn off the heat and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- TO MAKE THE CASHEW CREAM
- Place all the ingredients plus the 2 reserved roasted garlic cloves in a high speed blender. BLITZ until you have a smooth cream – that’s it!!
- Serve the soup with a dollop of cashew cream, a grinding of fresh pepper and any other goodies you would like – cashews, sunflower seeds, micro greens, or a drizzle of olive oil
Keywords: soup, vegan, carrots, cashews,
Looking for other fabulous soups?
Pantry Tomato Soup!
Vegetable and White Bean Soup
Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Don’t forget to Pin it!