A delectably spiced broth makes this Amazing Vegan Pho Soup very special!
No one will believe how easy this amazing vegan pho soup recipe is to make! The beautifully spiced broth tastes amazing, add your favorite veggies and some luscious noodles and you have a very special bowl of nourishing plants! So although a traditional ‘pho” is made with beef broth this one will blow your socks off, it’s much better for you, and happily has absolutely no cow involved.
Make it your own by adding the veggies you love. I used shiitake mushrooms, carrots, and baby bok choy but you could add or substitute with onion, bean sprouts, edamame, sugar snap peas, or snow peas. If you wanted to add some more protein, soft tofu cut into chunks would be a great option.
Health Benefits of Amazing Vegan Pho Soup!
- Rich in Nutrients: Vegan pho soup typically contains a variety of vegetables, herbs, spices, and plant-based protein sources such as tofu or tempeh. These ingredients provide essential nutrients including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients that support overall health and well-being.
- High in Fiber: Many of the vegetables and ingredients used in vegan pho soup, such as bean sprouts, mushrooms, and herbs, are high in dietary fiber. Fiber is important for digestive health, promotes regular bowel movements, and helps reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Low in Saturated Fat: Vegan pho soup is typically low in saturated fat, especially if it is made with lean protein sources such as tofu or tempeh. A diet low in saturated fat can help reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Heart-Healthy: Certain ingredients commonly found in vegan pho soup, such as garlic, ginger, and chili peppers, have been associated with cardiovascular health benefits. These ingredients may help lower blood pressure, improve blood circulation, and reduce inflammation, thereby supporting heart health.
- Immune-Boosting: The herbs and spices used in vegan pho soup, such as cilantro, basil, and star anise, contain antioxidants and antimicrobial properties that can help boost the immune system and protect against infections.
- Hydrating: Vegan pho soup is typically served in a flavorful broth made from vegetable stock, which can help keep you hydrated, especially during colder weather or when you’re feeling under the weather.
- Weight Management: Vegan pho soup is generally low in calories and can be a satisfying meal option for those looking to manage their weight or incorporate more plant-based foods into their diet. The combination of vegetables, protein, and broth can help keep you feeling full and satisfied.
- Adaptable and Customizable: Vegan pho soup can be easily customized to suit individual tastes and dietary preferences. You can add a variety of vegetables, herbs, and spices to tailor the flavor and nutritional content to your liking.
What spices are in this Amazing Vegan Pho Soup?
- Red Thai Bird Chiles or Red Pepper Flakes. Go with your comfort level as far as the heat is concerned. Amp it up or leave out the chili and red pepper flakes altogether.
- Star Anise
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Whole Cloves
- Coriander Seeds
- Fresh Ginger
What noodles should I use?
There are options! Try:
Do I need any special equipment to make Amazing Vegan Pho Soup?
No, just a soup pot and some pretty soup bowls.
Looking for more amazing soups? Try these!
Cauliflower and Vegetable Soup
Tuscan Ribollita Soup
Pantry Tomato Soup
Vegetable and White Bean Soup
I hope you love this Vegan Pho Soup as much as I do! I’d love to hear from you! please leave a comment and rate the recipe! Thanks so much and happy cooking:)
Vegan Pho Soup
A delicious beautifully spiced nourishing soup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Diet: Vegan
For the spice bag:
1 1/2 inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 Thai red chili
4 star anise
4 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
For the soup:
4 cups best quality vegetable broth
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 carrots, peeled and cut into discs
1/4 cup Tamari or soy sauce
1/4 cup Mirin cooking wine
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 packet shiitake mushrooms, sliced
3 baby bok choy OR 1 cup snow peas OR sugar snap peas
1 cup fresh cilantro OR fresh basil
1 packet rice noodles OR if you prefer soba or udon noodles
- To make the spice bag place the star anise, cinnamon stick, cloves, and coriander seeds in a small piece of cheesecloth. Tie together with kitchen twine.
- Place the spice bag in a pan with all the other ingredients, except for the mushrooms and bok choy, lime, and fresh cilantro. Bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer and partially cover the pot.
- Allow to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes for the flavors to deepen and the carrots to begin to soften. Add the mushrooms and bok choy, cook until tender.
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions.
- Taste! Squeeze in the juice of lime if needed, sprinkle in 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro or basil.
- Serve with cooked noodles, lime wedges, and extra herbs for sprinkling.
Keywords: Vegan Pho Soup