Delicious Peach, Berry, and Basil Salad, a gift from the summer garden!
You really can’t improve on nature, this delicious Peach, Berry, and Basil Salad is a case in point. There’s no cooking involved, it’s simply an assembly job with summer’s most delicious produce. Peaches are plentiful here in New York State in August, the basil is out of control in the garden and the berries have never been juicier!
All it takes is some artful arranging, a squeeze of lime, and a dash of maple or date syrup, and hey presto, you’ve got a delicious, nourishing treat:)
I’ve completely fallen in love with peaches this summer. Perhaps it’s a good year for them or perhaps I’ve finally figured out how to pick the good ones – not the mealy ones! The secret is to pick the “heaviest” fruits, which means they’re full of juice, and then use them before they’re too ripe.
Along with my new love affair with peaches, comes a need for as many recipes as I can find to incorporate them. I found this one at The Ambitious Kitchen so can’t claim the brilliance of it myself. I switched the maple syrup to date syrup and added some arugula.
How do you make a Delicious Peach, Berry, and Basil Salad?
It’s just a question of arranging the ingredients on a pretty plate and spooning over the date and lime juice, scattering with basil leaves, and dusting with lime zest. It couldn’t be easier 🙂
What can I substitute or add?
- Mint would be a lovely substitution for the basil
- You could add a few red pepper flakes to kick it up a little
- If you were looking to make this more of a meal than a side, try adding some chickpeas for protein. Roasted ones would be perfect!
The benefits of Berries!
- Berries are not only delicious but also packed with a variety of health benefits. Different types of berries offer unique nutritional profiles, but in general, they are rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Here are some of the key benefits associated with consuming berries:
- Rich in Antioxidants: Berries are high in antioxidants, such as anthocyanins, quercetin, and vitamin C. Antioxidants help protect the body against oxidative stress and reduce inflammation, potentially lowering the risk of chronic diseases.
- Heart Health: Berries have been linked to improved heart health. The antioxidants in berries may contribute to reducing blood pressure, improving cholesterol levels, and promoting overall cardiovascular health.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Berries contain compounds that have anti-inflammatory effects. Chronic inflammation is associated with various diseases, and consuming berries may help modulate the inflammatory response in the body.
- Improved Cognitive Function: Some studies suggest that the antioxidants and other compounds in berries may have positive effects on brain function. They may help delay age-related cognitive decline and improve memory and motor function.
- Rich in Fiber: Berries are a good source of dietary fiber, which is essential for digestive health. Fiber helps regulate bowel movements, promotes a feeling of fullness, and supports a healthy gut microbiome.
- Blood Sugar Regulation: Some studies suggest that berries may help regulate blood sugar levels, making them a potentially beneficial food for individuals with diabetes or those at risk of developing diabetes.
- Cancer Prevention: The antioxidants and other bioactive compounds in berries have been studied for their potential role in preventing certain types of cancer. While more research is needed, there is evidence to suggest that regular berry consumption may contribute to cancer prevention.
- Skin Health: The antioxidants in berries may help protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals, contributing to healthier and more youthful-looking skin.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Berries are a good source of essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, manganese, and potassium, which play important roles in various bodily functions.
Looking for other refreshing salads? Try these!
Quinoa Lentil Salad
Baby Potato Salad with Dill Yogurt Dressing
Quinoa Superfood Salad
Delicious Peach, Berry and Basil Salad
A delicious, refreshing mid-summer twist on fruit salad
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- Diet: Vegan
1 small packet of blueberries
1-pint packet of blackberries
A handful (about 1 cup ) of arugula
1 cup fresh basil
Juice and zest of a lime
1 tablespoon of maple or date syrup
1 – 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Slice the peaches, remove the stone and keep the skin on.
- In a bowl arrange the arugula, peaches, blueberries, blackberries, pomegranates, and basil leaves.
- Whisk together the lime juice and maple/date syrup. Pour over the fruit, dust with lime zest, and the red pepper flakes if using.
Keywords: Peach, Berry and Basil Salad