I’ve been having a lot of trouble with chocolate peanut butter cups recently. You know the ones, they’re stacked next to the check out at the supermarket to tempt you as you’re standing in line. It’s that perfect combination of salty and sweet that’s so hard to resist. Consequently, I decided to embrace the whole chocolate peanut butter cups bandwagon and make my own. These Healthy and Delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups are SO much better tasting, not to mention better for you, than the store-bought version 🙂
I’ve experimented a little and these are the current winners. I used vegan chocolate, of course, I tried almond butter to make believe there could be a healthy option but truth be told I like the peanut version better. A few flakes of sea salt sprinkled on top don’t hurt either. The New Year is around the corner, I think there may be a detox coming on…..
What type of chocolate is best to use?
- Dark Chocolate:
- Dark chocolate with a high cocoa content (70% or higher) is often considered a healthier option. Dark chocolate contains antioxidants, such as flavonoids, which may have potential health benefits. It also typically has less sugar than milk chocolate. Here’s my favorite brand from Green and Black’s.
- Sugar-Free Chocolate:
- If you’re looking to reduce sugar content, consider using sugar-free or stevia-sweetened chocolate. Be cautious with sugar substitutes, as some people may have sensitivities or digestive issues with certain sugar alcohols.
- Raw Chocolate:
- Raw chocolate, made from unroasted cacao beans, is minimally processed and retains more of its natural nutrients. Keep in mind that raw chocolate has a different flavor profile compared to traditional chocolate, and it may be less sweet. Fine and Raw is a great brand.
- High-Quality Milk Chocolate:
- If you prefer milk chocolate, choose a high-quality option with a higher cocoa content and less added sugar. Look for brands that use natural ingredients and avoid artificial additives. Get excited with this amazing list of the World’s Best Milk Chocolate – YUM!
- Cacao Nibs or Unsweetened Chocolate:
- For the ultimate control over sugar content, you can use unsweetened chocolate or cacao nibs and sweeten the mixture to your liking. This allows you to tailor the sweetness level according to your preferences.
- Dairy-Free Chocolate:
- If you’re lactose intolerant or following a vegan diet, opt for dairy-free chocolate. Many dark chocolates are naturally dairy-free, but be sure to check the ingredients to confirm.
Don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Why we LOVE Healthy and Delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups!
- Quality Ingredients:
- Control over ingredients allows you to choose high-quality and wholesome components. You can opt for organic, non-GMO, or locally sourced ingredients to enhance the overall nutritional value. Here’s my favorite Peanut Butter
- Personalize the flavor and texture according to your preferences. Adjust the sweetness level, choose dark or milk chocolate, and experiment with different types of nut butters or alternative spreads like almond butter or sunflower seed butter.
- Reduced Additives and Preservatives:
- Store-bought chocolate peanut butter cups are usually highly processed to extend shelf life. Homemade versions enable you to skip unnecessary additives, making the treats a cleaner and more natural option.
- Allergen Control:
- If you or someone you know has food allergies, making peanut butter cups at home allows you to control the ingredients and avoid potential allergens. You can choose nut-free alternatives such as tahini, click here for a wonderful brand, or substitute ingredients as needed.
- Enjoy the freshness of homemade treats. The absence of prolonged storage and transportation ensures that your chocolate peanut butter cups taste as good as possible.
- Making chocolate peanut butter cups at home can be cost-effective, especially if you buy ingredients in bulk. This is especially true if you plan to make large quantities or if you already have some of the ingredients on hand.
- Fun and Creativity:
- Homemade treats can be a fun and creative activity, especially if you involve friends or family. Experiment with different shapes, sizes, and toppings to create a unique and personalized confection.
- No Artificial Flavors or Colors:
- Many commercial products use artificial flavors and colors to enhance the appearance and taste of the treats. Homemade versions allow you to skip these additives, promoting a more natural and authentic flavor profile.
- Satisfaction of DIY:
- There’s a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that comes with creating something delicious from scratch. Homemade chocolate peanut butter cups can be a deliciously rewarding culinary project!
Healthy and Delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: stove top
Keywords: Healthy and Delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups