Ohhh this is a lovely dish! Simple to prepare, deeply flavorful and full of plant powered nutrition. It’s based on a recipe from Deborah Madison’s beautiful book In My Kitchen. Black Eyed Peas are deliciously “meaty” and of course loaded with fiber. I stewed them in stock, white wine, fresh herbs and spices and served them on a bed of brown rice. Heavenly.
Can I substitute other vegetables?
I would encourage you to add and substitute vegetables you have available and you love. Of course the cooking time will have to be adjusted a little. Here are a few suggestions:
- zucchini – green or yellow
- cherry tomatoes
- red or yellow bell peppers
- red onion
- trimmed green beans
How do you make Black Eyed Peas and Rice?
It’s very simple.
- Cook the rice according to the package directions. I like to add a little freshly ground black pepper and some Gomasio – a fabulous salt substitute.
- Cook the onion, celery, garlic and green pepper in a little vegetable stock, add the herbs and spices, black eyed peas, white wine and more stock. Simmer until tender.
- Add the garden peas, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
- Serve atop the rice with lemon zest and more fresh herbs to garnish.
Mint is always a lovely pairing with garden peas and it certainly goes very nicely here. I have a TON of it growing in the garden along with dill and parsley. If you can’t find a specific herb don’t worry, just add another you enjoy.
Black Eyed Peas with Rice
3 tablespoons vegetable stock
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 stick celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
1, 15oz can black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup white wine
3/4 cup vegetable stock
Pinch smoked paprika
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1–2 teaspoons best quality balsamic vinegar
Juice of half a lemon
Top with fresh thyme, parsley, dill and lemon zest
- Heat the 3 tablespoons vegetable stock in a large pan or Dutch oven. Add the onion and cook in the stock until soft.
- Add the celery, green bell pepper, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and red pepper flakes. Add the drained, rinsed black eyed peas and white wine. Stir well and allow everything to bubble away and cook together for a 2-3 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the stock and smoked paprika. Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer. Partially cover the pot.
- Cook for about 10 – 15 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked but not mushy.
- Remove from heat, add the green peas, they will cook in the heat of the liquid. TASTE pour in the juice of half a lemon and the balsamic vinegar. Taste again and add more lemon or vinegar if desired.
- Serve topped with fresh thyme, parsley, dill and lemon zest.
If you’ve whipped up Black Eyed Peas and Rice or any other recipe on The Well Fed Yogi, please do rate the recipe and leave me a comment below, I would love to hear from you! If you snapped some shots of the salad, please do share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Happy cooking and happy eating!
Don’t forget to Pin it for later!