Easy, Elegant Poached Pears are the perfect plant-based dessert.
Easy, Elegant Poached Pears looks an impressive dish but they’re very simple to make. This is a perfect low-stress dessert. Poaching is quick and straightforward, it’s just a question of simmering the fruit in liquid for about 15 minutes. The poaching liquid is all important as the fruit infuses its gorgeous flavor.
What’s in the poaching liquid?
There are plenty of options!
- wine is the original poaching liquid, you can use red or white.
- tea is a wonderful option which I used in this recipe. Earl Grey or Chai tea (without milk!) produces a lovely delicate flavor, just use 1 tea bag and steep in about 2 cups of water.
- adding citrus peel, vanilla extract, a cinnamon stick and a couple of star anise adds wonderful flavor not to mention a lovely aroma!
- if wine or tea are not available just use water, vanilla, and cinnamon.
Which are the best pears Easy, Elegant Poached Pears?
- Bosc is best!
- However, if you can’t find them Anjou or Barlett can be substituted
How do I make Easy, Elegant Poached Pears Poached Pears?
It’s so easy!
- Peel the pears and place them in a braising pan
- Add the spices and the liquid
- Cover and simmer on the stovetop until the fruit is tender
- That’s it!
Can I use unripe pears?
- Yes, you can, they’ll just need a little longer to poach. Make sure a knife can be easily slipped into the flesh before serving.
Easy, Elegant Poached Pears
A deliciously elegant plant-based dessert
4 Bosc Pears – peeled, halved, and cored
1 1/2 cups chai or Earl Grey tea OR white wine
2 tablespoons Date Syrup or maple syrup
4 strips of orange zest
4 strips of lemon zest
1 cinnamon stick
4 star anise
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Peel, halve, and core the pears and place in the braiser.
2. Mix together the date syrup, tea/wine, orange zest, lemon zest, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and star anise. Pour over the pears.
3. Bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer. Cover and allow to simmer for about 7 minutes. Turn the pears over and simmer for about another 5-7 minutes or until tender.
4. Serve with some cashew cream, non-dairy vanilla ice-cream, and some toasted nuts or granola.
Don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Looking for other lovely fruit desserts? Try these!
Apple and Blueberry Crisp
I hope you LOVE these Poached Pears! If you’ve whipped them up, or any other recipe on The Well Fed Yogi, please do rate the recipe and leave me a comment below, I would love to hear from you! If you snapped some shots of the dish, please do share it with me on Instagram so I can repost it on my stories!