This Fresh and Delicious Spring Pea Risotto Recipe is sure to delight!
Whipping up a Fresh and Delicious Spring Pea Risotto is a delicious way to welcome the first sunny days of the year. The “creamy” texture comes with the addition of cashew cream, and the cheesy vibe from Parmesan cheese or Nutritional Yeast.
This post is all about creating a Fresh and Delicious Spring Pea Risotto recipe!
A Spring Pea Risotto is surprisingly easy and quick to make. As such, it can be enjoyed as a weeknight meal or dressed up for an elegant dinner party. It’s simply a question of simmering and stirring until the stock is absorbed by the rice. I used frozen peas and topped it with some fresh pea shoots.
What ingredients are in Fresh and Delicious Spring Pea Risotto?
- a really good quality low-sodium vegetable broth
- short-grain brown rice OR the classic arborio rice
- fresh thyme
- Cashew Cream
- dry white wine
- black pepper
- frozen or fresh peas
- fresh pea shoots, if available
Can I make it in advance?
Yes, you absolutely can!
This is the type of dish that benefits from being prepared a day in advance. The flavors meld together beautifully.
However, I would suggest that you omit the peas until just before serving. They tend to lose their vibrant color and look a little drab if left overnight. A bright springlike green is so important to this dish, I would suggest cooking the peas and stirring them into the risotto just before serving:)
What type of rice should I use?
You have options here.
- The traditional risotto rice is Arborio its starch content is high which produces a creamy texture. It’s delicious but nutritionally it’s far from stellar.
- You can swap out arborio for organic short grain brown. Admittedly it’s not quite as “creamy” as the arborio but it works well and is far superior from a nutritional standpoint.
- Long grain basmati is my least favorite in this dish, as retains its “bite” a little too much for risotto in my opinion.
What equipment do I need to make Fresh and Delicious Spring Pea Risotto?
A really good quality heavy duty skillet
Spring Pea Risotto
A deliciously luxurious Spring Pea Risotto
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
1/3 cup low-sodium vegetable stock or 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, peeled and diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup rice, short grain brown or arborio (see above)
1 cup dry white wine
4 cups of good-quality low-sodium vegetable stock
2 tablespoons Cashew Cream
1 1/2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese or Nutritional Yeast
Zest and juice of a lemon
1 cup frozen peas
Fresh pea shoots – optional
- In a large pan, heat 1/3 cup low sodium vegetable stock, add the peeled and diced shallots, and cook on medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, fresh thyme, and black pepper, cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice, stir well, pour in the wine, and allow the liquid to bubble away for a minute or two. Start adding the stock, 1/3 cup at a time. Allow the stock to absorb, then continue adding until it’s used up and the risotto is thick and creamy.
- Remove from the heat, stir in 1-2 tablespoons cashew cream, start with 1 tablespoon and add more if desired. Stir in 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast. Add the lemon zest and juice. Taste. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- If serving the risotto immediately add the peas and a little more fresh thyme. Serve topped with fresh pea shoots if desired.
Keywords: Spring Pea Risotto,
Don’t forget to Pin Fresh and Delicious Spring Pea Risotto.
I hope you love this risotto! I’d love to hear from you, please leave a comment and rate the recipe! Thanks so much and happy cooking:)
Hungry for more? Try these!
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
Vegan Moroccan Tagine