Looking for a salad that’s elegantly delicious? Try this Patty Pan Squash and Pea Salad, it’s divine.
The other day I was in Manhattan visiting one of my daughters, whenever I’m there I make a beeline for Eli’s Market on 3rd Avenue. It’s too gorgeous to miss. It’s easy to be mesmerized by the fantastic array of food and kitchen goods. Yesterday however I came away with one little packet of the most perfect patty pan squash you’ve ever seen.
I decided to cook them up with some best quality vegetable stock, lemon juice, white wine and fresh herbs then toss them into a salad. You can’t go wrong with that! Aren’t they adorable!
What else is in the Patty Pan Squash and Pea Salad?
- Peas of course. frozen work well.
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Summer Thyme
- Lemon juice
- A bed of baby lettuce leaves if you like
Can I eat Patty Pan Squash raw?
You can but not in this salad as you would miss out on the lovely white wine sauce.
How do I cut up Patty Pan Squash?
Unlike a lot of other squashes Patty Pan is tender and easy to cut. You can slice it horizontally to keep the pretty scalloped edge of the squash or you can just chop them in half. You may find they’re so small they don’t need cutting at all.
How do I make Patty Pan Squash and Pea Salad?
- saute the prepared squash in best quality (or even better homemade) vegetable stock
- add kosher salt (optional) freshly ground black pepper, minced garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and white wine
- simmer until tender
- add the peas to warm through
- plate with the sliced cherry tomatoes, fennel and fresh herbs
Optional add ins:
- pasta such as orecchiette (little ears) it’s nice as the sauce collects in the pasta shells
- baby zucchini squash
Looking for other lovely salad recipes? Try these;
Moroccan Carrot Salad
Best Ever Chickpea SaladPrint
Patty Pan Squash and Pea Salad
An elegant and delicious salad
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Total Time: 14 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: salad
Approximately 8 small patty pan squash, trim the stems
3–4 tablespoons best quality vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Zest and juice of a lemon
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small fennel, finely sliced
Fresh mint and thyme
- Slice the fennel and put on a large plate.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and add to the plate.
- If the patty pan are large, slice or cut in half.
- Heat the vegetable stock in a large pan, add the squash, sprinkle with salt (if using) and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add a few sprigs of thyme and the garlic.
- Sprinkle over the zest of lemon and squeeze in the juice.
- Pour in the wine, bring to a simmer.
- Cook for approximately 3 minutes, you want the squash tender not mushy. Add the peas to warm through.
- As soon as the squash is tender and the peas are bright green, transfer to the plate with the fennel, toss gently.
- Sprinkle over more fresh thyme and fresh mint.
Keywords: vegan, salad,
If you’ve whipped up this Salad or any other recipe on The Well Fed Yogi, please do rate the recipe and leave me a comment below, I would love to hear from you! If you snapped some shots of the salad please do share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!